Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Possible Legislation for Coverage of Amino-Acid Based Formulas in SC

Today, during my lunch break, I submitted an online comment to SC Representative Garry Smith related to the finacial struggles many SC families face who have children that require amino-acid based formulas (Neocate, Elecare, Nutramigen AA, etc.).  These families struggle because of the burden created by the enormous expense of these formulas and the failure of most private insurance plans to cover the cost unless the formula is administered through a feeding tube (Feeding tubes are not typically standard in the treatment protocols for many illnesses requiring elemental formula to be the sole source of nutrition.).  The comment only took me about twenty minutes to put together and I simply said what was on my heart.  While my family personally struggles with this issue, I believe a much bigger issue exists:  The fact that working class families employed by the private sector are the only families who cannot currently receive assistance with the cost of prescribed elemental formulas within our state.  In SC, Medicaid covers elemental formulas, WIC covers elemental formulas, the state insurance plan covers these formulas, and the federal insurance plan also covers these formulas.  The only people who do not have the opportunity to receive assistance are those families who are usually paying a substantial amount for private insurance coverage and are contributing directly to the economy within the community (the majority of these families are middle class families who are already stretched financially in this difficult economic climate).  I did not expect anything to result from the submission of my comments to Representative Smith, but I thought that I would at least attempt to raise awareness of this issue.  To my great surprise, Representative Smith contacted me back directly - today!  He is planning to share the information I sent with Senator David Thomas, the chair of the SC Senate Banking & Insurance Committee.  While I know this does not guarantee the introduction of legislation, I am hopeful that it is a step toward positive change for the many working class families who struggle with this expense within our state.   Hooray for politicians who are actually willing to listen to their constituents and who want to be a champion of the middle class working citizen!  God Bless You!

5 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog. Thanks for sharing. We have government employee health insurance and while they do offer some assistance, they do not cover the full cost. We pay $33 a can for Elecare. When I spoke with the supplier they shared with me that our insurance will pay $131 a can for Elecare. It varies according to insurance. While I agree that something needs to be done, I think they need to start by standardizing the cost! It can be purchased for much less by the general public than through insurance! That is insane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job mama. You are changing lives for hundreds of families. And way to go Rep. for listening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen, an FPIES grandmaMarch 24, 2011 at 1:32 PM

    Could you please share what you sent to your legislator so that others can copy (and individualize) and also send to their representatives? The more legislators we contact the better chance there may be for attention to this discrepancy in health care benefits and essential, life sustaining care for our children. Thank you and best wishes on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be more than happy to post this information. I should have it up within the next two days. I have to be honest and tell you that there isn't necessarily anything special or magical in what I wrote. I honestly just typed out what was on my mind, attached a draft bill provided by a website that is linked to the Neocate website, and attached a copy of the actual legislation enacted in Texas. I think that the desire of Rep Smith to be responsive to constiuents had much more to do with this being evaluated than my actual words - But I am always happy to share and help others in any way we can, so I will get this up as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for being an advocate for all of us!

    ReplyDelete